Saturday, September 08, 2007

Joining Visual Studio Web Team

It has been a while since I wrote and hence it is a little strange to write... It seems like past 1.5 years of my work life has been hidden somewhere and that is kind of true as well... Hopefully I will be able to write about it in next 2-3 months, but anyways the reason for today's post is a little different...

I wanted to let you folks know that I am joining Visual Studio Web Developer team from Sept 10th 2007 (Monday) onwards... It is an exciting move for me coz I have always loved the web world and working on the team which help shapes the future of the web is super exciting to me... Hopefully in time to come I will be able to write a lot more and provide some useful info to you all...

Q. So what will I be doing in Visual Studio Web Developer team...?
A. I will be the Program Manager for Visual Studio Project System for Web... Ofcouse that is very vague right!! So let me give some more details... Visual Studio Project System for Web comprises of creation, compilation and deployment of Web based XXX from Visual Studio...
The reason I said XXX is coz XXX can include Web Site, Web Applications and any other web properties that you may want to create from Visual Studio...

Q. So what can you expect from me?
A. Well, as usual feel free to contact me whenever and however way you want... If you have any thoughts, issues, suggestions, concerns or feedback about Web Development with Visual Studio then do not think twice before writing... I promise I will conciously spend time and energy in taking the feedback in the most positive way in the most positive direction...

Q. So what kind of things can you reach out to me for?
A. Practically anything to do with Visual Studio Web Development... If it falls under the area that I am responsible for I will work on it myself, if it is beyond my area then I will send it across to the right people...

Some Random thoughts:
I feel, lot of time we take Visual Studio for granted... Many times we think that whatever is available within Visual Studio or via available add-ins is what you can do with the technology !! But Visual Studio is a product for us developers and you can say out loud the things that you love or hate about it... At Microsoft we will love to take your thoughts and suggestions and try to turn them into reality... It does not mean everything that everyone hopes will become Visual Studio feature, honestly not everything that I will hope will also become Visual Studio feature but the laundry list will be something which can become the base for discussion for the Visual Studio team... Your thoughts and suggestions will be something that will be debated and then probably the top requests will be taken up...

I am intending to talk to as many developers as possible and try to find out what features would they expect in the next version of Visual Studio that would make their life easier, their experience enjoyable and their productivity higher and higher... I will be more than willing to have a phone calls set up with you to talk about your expectations and feedbacks so if you are interested in doing so do not hesitate to let me know... If you think you would like to join the discussion along with your team then that is great too...

In anycase, to know more about the area that my team is responsible for visit our team blog below... It will provide you a lot of context on the things that we can talk about more...

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/

I will internalize our team motto and end by saying "Your websites will be my passion!!"

Looking forward to writing more often in the future...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Vishal

Nice to hear that you're in M$ first of all. I didnt knew that and even i dont think you'll remember me. But, i do. I remember we met in the initial CNUG meeting along with Anand when we 10 people met @ Satyam, Hadows Rd office. Anyway, all the best for moving to VS Web Team.

Reg
Sankar B
jinishans.blogspot.com

Vishal R Joshi said...

Thanks Sankar... I do remember the CNUG initial days... I read your blog too it is interesting..

bassi said...

Visual studio become irritating when it comes to place controls in proper positions in a web page.If we slect position to be relative,static,not set etc,it is very unexpected when view the position of the controls in browser.
If there will be one record in gridview then size of the grid in browser will be very big,look very awkward.No help to adjust the size,even if we fix the header's width will see same results.
It will be great if some Graph control can be added.

Vishal R Joshi said...

Hi Bassi...
Thanks for your comments...We have a ListViewControl in Visual Studio 2008... I would encourage you to look at that...
I will soon be posting on my blog around ListView control so you can look out for that...
-Vishal